Anyway, one of the things that foreigners should have when travelling is the knack for smelling signs of trouble. Here are some expressions or words that a foreigner can use when danger is imminent. The other alternative is to run or avoid being in a sticky situation.
1. Go away, please - Pahawa palihug (to sound more assertive, just remove palihug)
2. I'm going to call the police - Tawagon nako ang pulis. (Make sure you have the number of the local police)
3. I will report you to the Barangay - I-report ta ka sa Barangay (The Barangay is the smallest local government unit that is composed of about 100 families and disputes in villages are settled by the Barangay officials.)
4. Help - Tabang
5. Help me - Tabangi ko
6. Fire - Sunog (This is more effective in calling the attention of other people to your direction or to create a diversion)
7. What do you want? - Unsay imong tuyo/ Unsay imong kinahanglan?
8. Where is the police station? - Asa man ang istasyon sa pulis?
Here are some practical tips to help you avoid getting in danger and these may apply not only in the Philippine situation but in other countries as well.
1. Avoid walking in dark alleys and streets.
2. Avoid disputes with drunks as they tend to be sensitive and are easily offended by a mere curios look.
3. Don't flaunt your sophisticated gadgets. Your sophisticated gadgets will reduce your credibility when you say you have no money or glamorous job.
4. Make sure your residence is securely locked before leaving and before sleeping at night.
5. Be aware of criminal modus operandi in the place you are planning to visit. Watch this video for further knowledge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrHQ8QPVuh
6. Be alert of your surroundings and most of all, try to befriend and win the trust of the locals by learning their culture and communicating well with them. Having more friends means having more allies and assistance.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in the Philippines.
(Would you like to donate? Cebuano Teacher will accept any amount. It will really be a big help in promoting, maintenance, upkeep and updating of this site. Just click on the Paypal button on the right side of this site) Thank you so much in advance, friends.